CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Public school vs. Home school

I have been thinking a great deal lately about education. The decision to enroll Christopher in school this year was difficult. Although he is in public school I still see myself as a homeschooler. That is just the way I am, the way the ideal dynamics in our family should be. Since placing him I have had the chance to do some reading (always reading something, you know) and read some books about education for the gifted, particularly the extremely gifted. Oh my, did that get my panties in a wad.

Of course, Christopher is not extremely gifted (not at all what I am trying to suggest). However, he is bright. And I found it appalling to consider the ways in which our schools so often fail not only our children who are behind and need assistance, but also those who are ahead. I feel passionately about education and ached when I read the accounts of children whose drive and desire to learn, create, and explore has been so thwarted by the bureaucratic system.

Unfortunately, I felt I have seen some symptoms of the same problems in Christopher's short journey in the public school system. First, the school paid no heed to the fact that Christopher completed his kindergarten year last year at home. Homeschooling doesn't count, right? We all know that. : P They're so stuck on the age/grade/peer path that they insisted he begin in the Kindergarten class and then MAYBE they'd consider moving him. Unfortunately, I have met with both his teacher and a gifted education specialist and they did not recommend moving him- as he is not many grades beyond level (just 1). They did assesments, and he seems to test as well as John (too bad he didn't get my test taking capabilities). He did pretty well, but I know he's ahead of where they placed him. For example, he was unable to give the correct response to how to hold a book. Hello!! We've only been reading with him since he was itty-bitty. He's only been reading on his own for a solid 9 months! Obviously he was nervous, or didn't understand what she was asking. So, after discussions with the school staff, and realizing I'm not getting anywhere, it was agreed that he'll be in the highest math and reading groups, and have some special gifted pull out time each week with the other Kindergarteners with high needs.

I was content with that for a while, knowing that my son is adaptable, and enjoying the social aspects of school, so all is well. Right? But it's been about a month and I am getting frustrated. Christopher is now bringing homework home, and it is absolutely pointless. (Had a similar discussion last night with the girls at Panera). It is the same thing for every single Kindergartener, and they are supposed to do it each night. My problem lies with the fact that it is all mind wasting, time wasting worksheets. He's been reading books that are WAY behind his level, cutting and pasting shapes, writing numbers, writing the alphabet, etc. Grrr. And this all takes away from the short time we have when he gets home after 4. So we have to make choices between doing what we want him to do: Reading ahead of grade level, grammar work, copy work, history reading and most importantly FREE PLAY time and doing what they ask- Busywork of coloring, cutting and pasting. Exactly what he already does all day in school. He gets frustrated, we get frustrated, it is ugly all around. He continues to bring home papers every day that demonstrate what they are working on, and John and I just shake our heads. THere's nothing wrong with what they are learing, and I'm not trying to be an elitist snob, but he ALREADY KNOWS ALL OF THIS STUFF. Seriously, he's only learning how to stand in line, wait his turn, memorize 26 other children's names.

What's the solution? I'm not sure. John and I aren't willing to push any harder if it is only one year. One year out of life. And I feel bad that I see the educational system, see the flaws, and am not going to do anything about it. It seems so systemic, and I don't think all of the parental involvement in the world would help. Christopher's teacher is very nice and I know she does the best she can, but she's working in the constraints of a flawed system. And I know there will be some who wonder why I don't have my children in the public education system if I support improvement, but this year will be the last year for some time to come, because I'll be ****ed if I'll sacrifice my children's education for the sake of trying to affect change in a system that is utterly and completely flawed, and failing so many children.

Earlier this year I was feeling bad that I didn't always get extra projects done with the kids, like making a sugar cube pyramid, or special art time. Now, I have gained an appreciation for the fact that we were still doing pretty well. Even if we only had science every other day, that's more than they're doing in school. He was doing rhetoric, forced to think about what he had learned and re-state it to me for history and science, and they have NOTHING like that at school. He was learning about the ancient civilizations (and still is during storytime with Dad), but at school today was the first day they had any sort of culture/history class since school began. On top of all the extra subjects that were stressing me out so terrible he was having intensive phonics instruction, and rigorous math work. Now, I am just trying to keep him up to par, encouraging him to read his new chapter books as he exclaims "But, I've forgotten how!" Is that what school is good for?

Oh well, we'll be joyfully rejoining the fray of happy homeschoolers as soon as I can get this thesis done! I am, believe it or not, looking forward to it, already planning on curriculum fairs, a few local conventions, and plenty of fun along the way. And someday I'll try to help the school system, but change it from the top down- and not while my children are being molded by it into the universal mold they should fit into.

4 comments:

Cassie said...

It'll get better. Good luck on your thesis. :)

Emily said...

I just wanted to comment and give you my thoughts.
Our little Ethan who is in Kindergarten this year is "bored" with school work. He loves the social interaction and that is why he is attending. I know socially Ethan needs to go to school. I also know that school is only a supplement as to what I can provide for my son. Just like the church YM/YW programs. Only the YM/YW Leaders can do so much...the real work is in the home.
At school Ethan is "bored" with shapes, counting, reading the "entry level" books. However, home is where the "real" work begins. Each week we choose a subject to "further investigate." The choices are Science, Math, foreign language or music. We ALWAYS do a reading that is not a choice. Right now we are reading the Tale of Desperaux. So, even though there isn't a lot of time at the end of each school day... at least there is 20 minutes to "investigate." We do NOT try to finish what is planned. We just "investigate" to get his mind thinking and moving. My hope is that he will have a desire to think a little bit "further" and to "further investigate" what he is learning. At school "further investigation" might not be welcome, but the comfort I have is that the real "shaping" comes from in the home. That is my comfort and my motivation.
Just wanted to share.
I must tell you though... now that I have commented, I must go get my little ones away from the TV. I think they have been watching for quite a while! HA HA HA!
Hope ALL is well!
Emily

mbbatch04 said...

I guess I must have gone to a really great public school and we must have really good ones out here. I am sorry so much junk is going on. One day we will fix the education system. I will be there to help you fight the good fight Susie! =)

Lopez7 said...

Susie I really admire you!