CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Just a thought

Praise God for tender mercies. After a terribly busy day yesterday, and an exhausting week including all of the normal gymnastics and ballet, homeschooling, exercising, a dr. visit for a daughter's UTI, AND the play rigmarole yesterday, the last thing I wanted to do was to PAY for a sitter to go sit at church. Bleach. But, I met John there anyways (he'd had some earlier meetings), and was so glad I did. The drive up to the chapel was pleasant with silly, irreverent jokes from the Prairie Home Companion to break me out of my funk, and somehow it seemed I heard so many things I needed to hear. One talk in particular struck me, with it's honesty and the similar feelings the speaker had. She spoke of her conversion, and a later struggle with one issue in particular, that let to her leaving the church. I empathized, because I too struggle with the 1978 declaration on the Priesthood, as well as other things, and have come to believe I may never find the peace I desire, or it may take years. But, she also spoke of coming back to the church and realizing that while she doesn't know everything, she can't let that negate what she does know- which is this: The Gospel is True. If it's true, then I WILL understand one day, and for the moment I'll continue to grasp onto the beauty and loveliness I observe around me and in the Church. The opportunity to hear this, along with other things, and sit hand in hand with my love made the time and money well spent.

Thank goodness for that- because sitting through 2 hours of conference with the children today was another story for another day. Suffice it to say that I was glad I'd already nourished my spirit yesterday evening!

3 comments:

LeeAnn said...

Sis. Spells talk was amazing! I have a great book on the subject mentioned-I just have to get it back from Suz!!!

Tina said...

Conference was really good, and I enjoyed that particular talk also. Honesty is just the BEST!

I didn't notice your struggle with your kids . . . and I was just caty-corner and a row back from you! I was just trying hard not to cough and sneeze through the whole meeting (and wasn't successful!)

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

I too love the Adult Session. Always so inspiring. I am glad just you and John got to go! And congrats by the way on #5!!!! That is SO exciting!!!