CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, February 26, 2012

How to get it all (or mostly) done, Susie style

I had a funny discussion at book club the other week. Someone asked how I found the time to teach online on top of homeschooling and raising 5 children. I just laughed, then realized they actually wanted to know and I'd have to think of something to say. After thinking about it some more I've made a list of how I manage to teach on top of my other responsibilities. Feel free to utilize any of the below mentioned tips in order to 'let things go' enough to accomplish whatever your heart desires.

1- Don't keep up with the laundry. Seriously. Just let it go. John and I keep it washed, but don't expect it folded and put away when you come to visit, because right now it just doesn't make it on my priority list.
2- Cut the television. John and I did this last Fall, and it was a terrific decision. Every time we've decided to cut television from our lives I find myself wondering how I ever FOUND the time for TV in the first place. With dvd's, redbox, and the abundance of shows on the internet there is no shortage of entertainment options for the times when I do just want to sit and watch a show, or distract the kiddos for 30 minutes.
3- Multitask. There is a lot of debate right now about whether multitasking is actually beneficial or detrimental to our mental well-being. While I agree it may actually be creating a more ADD type of human race, I can't get through a day without multitasking- such as the nursing and typing I'm doing right now ( :
4- Avoid things that are time suckers for you! You know what I'm talking about. I still enjoy my FB, but when something had to go I cut back on blog posting and reading, and have been avoiding pinterest. We all have things we can cut, and that we know it's easy to spend more time than necessary on.
5-Saving the best for last- Just do it! If something is important to you it becomes a priority. So, when I've wanted to sing, or write a thesis, or teach (not all at once mind you), I just do it. I set aside 30 minutes, or 60 minutes, or 2 hours each day and get it done, come heck or high water. On a good day that means I have a productive afternoon while the kids are resting. On a bad day, that means grabbing 10 minutes at a time, or telling John, HELP!

So, if you're looking for motivation, check out my tips. Of course, I'm not wonder woman, and I'll be the first to tell you, but these tips have helped me to live a fuller, more sane life.

3 comments:

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

I love the tips! Sorry there isn't a job yet. From what you've written, it seems like all will work out for the best though. My sister signed me up for pinterest, and I haven't really gone on it because I have heard that it's a time sucker. One night she went on for me and pinned a bunch of stuff for me on my account, which made me laugh. Good luck with everything!

Unknown said...

Great tips Susie :)
Cutting tv was good for us too.
and I think that 4 and 5 are particularly relevant to me, thanks!

LeeAnn said...

Oh so young and so wise! There is one floor of my home that kinda stays clean, that being the main floor. Book club helps me keep it that way;-) The rest while not totally clean cannot be clasified as a disaster of any kind. You are so right, somethings gotta give and being a neat freak went out the window a long time ago for me!
Thanks for sharing your great advise!