Thanks to a question about my political views, I have been considering sharing a few. So, here goes nothing.
When referencing difference in opinion in my just a thought post I was referring to a number of things. For one, unlike many hard core conservatives, I interpret the right to bear arms phrase of the second amendment as referring to militias, not private gun ownership. Neither John nor I are big gun fans, and won't be seeking out the NRA's endorsement any time soon. While I detest debt as much as anyone, I don't see any easy answers to the growing problem in the United States Government, on either side of the aisle. I often agree with other moderates that there are a number of things that we can't afford NOT to do. An initial investment often pays good dividends in the long run. I differ in my perspective on the role of government, particularly Federal government in it's citizen's lives. For heavens sakes, I'm not going to go crazy talking about the reduction of the Federal government's impact when my husband is on its payrolls, and has been for his entire post-Education career ( ;
I could go on and on, but my biggest point I was trying to get across in my Thought post was that we can, and MUST come to a consensus, a compromise in government that both parties can be happy with. Congress is called Congress because they are meant to come together in congress, or in other words, confer, discuss, and come to mutually supported decisions. We can't all be happy all of the time. In fact, compromises are often unsatisfactory to people on the right and the left, such as the recently passed health care bill. But, compromise we must, if we are going to continue in our grand traditions as a republic. I dislike the message I hear often from certain channels of media, and certain friends, that inspires fear, and paints a one dimensional protagonist/antagonist picture of government. If I'm right you mus be wrong, correct? And if you're wrong, you must want to tear down all that is good and see the ultimate destruction of civilization, right? This is said tongue in cheek, but I believe we have all recognized similar patterns in reality,and we simply can't live a productive life with such opinions.
If you're interested in learning more about a cause that has me inspired at the moment check out: The Coffee party, promoting civility in public discourse. May we all share our opinions nicely and work together to create public good for all ( :
Thursday, July 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
I agree. I'm left of center but still a moderate. It frustrates me when uninformed individuals (at church no less) come up to me and tell me they think the president I voted for is running our country into the ground and trying to purposefully destroy democracy and freedom as we know it. A simple query into their reasoning has never produced any cogent arguments, just repeated rantings of extremist nut-jobs who like to stir the pot. Why can't we just get along America? It would certainly alleviate many of the problems so many misinformed individuals propagate.
Oh! and by the way, thanks for sharing! I'm still getting my thoughts together . . . . . .
The Coffee Party, TOO FUNNY!!!!
You know, having been to one of these "tea" parties, they aren't exactly as they are painted. They weren't a bunch of hate-crazed fanatics. They were just every day people, wanting what is best for their country. Every now and again, a media person may have come across a sound-bite or two that they could use to paint the parties as BAAAAD, but I was pleasantly surprised at how civilized it was! Going to another on September 12th .. . . . want to come???? ;) Just kidding!!! (Not about me going though)
Susie I really enjoy reading your blog. I think you are such a smart women and are able to articulate your thoughts so well. I miss you and your family!
I am guess I am one of your few conservative friends.....but I am like you. I don't think that yelling at one another or telling each other that they are completely wrong is going to get us anywhere productive. Threats of any kind, from either side, is so counter productive that it is a wonder that we as a nation have ever gotten anything done lately.....and it seems to be getting worse. Media is never unbiased...depending on what channel you watch, you are going to hear about the "evils and ignorance" of the "other side". In my humble opinion, this is the work of satan. If you think over what we know will be happening in the last days, it makes sense for him to cause us to all fight among ourselves. What better way to break this wonderful nation? Anyhow, I may not agree with everything that this current president have done(I may not agree with much in politics right now on either side if truth be known), but I have a hard time believing that he doing things on purpose to destroy the US. I also didn't believe that Bush was as stupid or as horrible as everyone has tried to brainwashed us to believe. It is all perspective and our choices come from our experiences. I know for myself, my nightly prayer is that the men and women who are in public office are guided to do the best they can for our nation. Sometimes I don't like what they come up with, but I know that most of them are doing what they think is right.
You're one of my MANY conservative friends Alice, but a really awesome one ( : I know you and I really aren't that different!
Post a Comment