




John and I are both interested in folklife, and with my humanities and international cultural background I am particularly fascinated by the role that folklife plays in cultures. That makes the annual Smithsonian Folklife Festival, held every summer, a particular bonus to living here. We first enjoyed it years ago, and were delighted to be able to go again this year, and share a fun day with the children. We enjoyed a picnic lunch while watching Chinese Opera, a fascinating experience. The kids were enthralled, which I found interesting, because I was getting a little antsy after 40 minutes ( : It was a fabulous opportunity to be exposed to something we probably won't see again for a long time, and the dancing and costumes were amazing.
We also enjoyed wandering through the various tents set up to learn about aspects of Mexican culture, and Pacific Asian American culture. The kids found an interactive mylar 'mural' in one Smithsonian tent and made self portraits. We also stopped by the Museum of American History for a bit to cool down, where we visited the Star Spangled Banner, among other things. The girls didn't care for the exhibit ("too dark!") but the boys loved it.
The day had a surprisingly pleasant finale, as we bought some authentic (mostly) mexican food, and enjoyed a musical performance as we ate. Surprisingly, Lori is a big fan of Pico de Gallo. The music was so beautiful- a group of men singing traditional songs in harmony. Unfortunately, they explained, it is a dying art, and they are the last remaining group of their kind (that they know of). That seems such a tragedy. I love the conveniences of modern culture, and the ease with which I can communicate and such, but it has come with such a steep price. I was both saddened and pleased to hear that we are not the only culture that is losing vital aspects to the draw of modern technology and instant gratification. The singing which has been not a performing art form, but a vital part of their community and interaction, is disappearing, just as we are losing essential aspects of community in our lives. As wonderful as chat rooms, facebook, and blogs are, they are mere inadequate substitutes for the pleasure found in true community.




No comments:
Post a Comment