CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Anna's Birth Day - Part 2










I asked to be checked right before our walk, and was pleased to hear that I was making progress- although it was kind of puzzling- she said I was at a 4-5 between contractions, or a 7 during. When we left for the walk I told them that we'd probably come back when it was time for the shower (transition) and then it would be baby time. Walking did help pick up the contractions. They quickly became more intense and frequent. After walking for a short time, I found myself stopping every two minutes to sway and moan with John. We walked for a little while longer, with a short bathroom break, until I told John I couldn't walk any more- it was shower time! I went in and informed the midwives of the change in contractions, and went to the welcome relief of the shower. At this point, I felt the end was probably very near, and the midwife did too, reporting to a colleague around 1 or 1:30 that we'd have a baby within the hour. Little did we know that Anna had other plans.

I stayed in the shower until the hot water ran out (far too quickly!). I should have warned John that evening not to run any laundry or the dishwasher. Oh well! The contractions stayed intense, but slowed somewhat in their frequency- from every 2 minutes to every 3 or 4. I was disappointed to get out before push time, but still thought it probably wouldn't be long. The next few hours were intense. I labored in a transition pattern for an extended period with intense contractions that required a great deal of work to release into. For a length of time they were intense, but spaced less frequently, and I thought, and said, maybe if I try some other positions, etc. they'll increase and the baby will come faster, but I don't want to! I'm so tired! So, time continued to pass. Serious transition hit, with nausea, shaking, strange contraction patterns, the whole nine yards, and I thought with each pain, or surge, that surely the end was near. However, I stayed in this pattern for a long period of time. At this point I was in 'labor land' and everything is a little bit fuzzy- I was so concentrated on living one moment at a time. The midwife, assistant, John and Ann were all super, sitting with me, rubbing pressure points on my back, keeping cool cloths on my head, offering position suggestions, words of encouragement, sips of fluids or ice, etc. The care and energy in the room was tremendous, and despite the fatigue of the hour and extended labor pattern, it was a very positive experience.

Finally, at around 4:40 am I started feeling more pressure. At 4:46 my water finally broke in an enormous gush, soaking the midwife, the bed, and a good portion of the room (John included). We all got a good laugh out of that. The midwife and assistant helped me to push gently, and allowed me to push as much or as little as I wanted. At this point, I still felt contractions without pushing urges, so I just pushed when I felt like it. In between pushes I concentrated on building energy for the next time, and with the assistance and coaching of my help, I birthed Anna at 5:10 am, with no perineal damage- just a small abrasion that didn't require stitches. After 4 births with stitches, that was so empowering! Both the midwife and John commented on her interesting exit, as she spun around with her entrance to the world. Perhaps she'll be a dancer. As John and I placed her on my abdomen my immediate sensation was relief. I was so glad to have the long labor over, and beyond thrilled to meet this little one, who had a full head of hair. She was so calm, not really crying, not requiring any suction or assistance, and I just reveled in her little body on mine. Ann woke the children, who came in to meet their newest sibling. They stayed to look for a short while, then they went back to bed. The boys came back in shortly and Theodore cut the cord. The midwife and birth assistant left us to enjoy getting to know one another while they began cleaning up. Before they left they had helped me to shower and get into a fresh bed, performed a newborn exam, monitored vitals for a few hours, and made sure we were aware of what to monitor and watch for. We were so grateful for the care and expertise of everyone involved, and are so delighted to have this new little one in our family.


3 comments:

Tina said...

I can't read or hear about labor stories without getting queasy myself!

Great birth story . . . . and an absolutely beautiful baby girl!

You'll love the no stitches part . . . you (or at least I) could convince myself I hadn't even had a baby, as nothing hurt and didn't even need a donut to sit on! Yay!

Congrats!

Unknown said...

Wow! I do not know how you did it! My labors are crazy intense like that but do not last NEARLY as long! Congratulations! She is beautiful!

Unknown said...

I can relate to the stitches vs. no stitches and the difference is so big!
I enjoyed meeting Anna and talking to you the other day. You have a wonderful family :)
Congratulations!