CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Moral and Virtuous

Going to church is a struggle for me on the best of days.  Wrestling my crew of little ones through meetings leaves me feeling as though I've run a marathon by the time we all pile in the car to go home.  Add to that the fact that our sweet little happy baby Anna is also just as independent, active and loud as any of her siblings, and combine it with naptime church (1-4) and you have a recipe for exhaustion.  Despite the craziness, John and I rarely miss a Sunday.  Last Sunday was a real doozy of a Sabbath.  Sacrament Meeting was a struggle, as usual, with Anna being the prime troublemaker and arriving a few minutes late, relegating us to outer darkness, I mean the uncomfortable folding chairs that Anna loves to bang on.  The talks may or may not have been good- I caught the topic and that was it, between potty breaks and all the other assorted mayhem.  By the time Relief Society started I was so done, but looking forward to being with my fellow sisters. 

Now, another thing you should know about me, I seem all sweet and nice, but I'm very sensitive while pregnant.  I've been known to rant and rave over all sorts of things while pregnant, particularly items that bother my intellectual self.  Just ask John.  Pregnant or not, I get annoyed often by 'cliche' or not particularly gospel truth things people will say at church (for some reason, Relief Society is always the worst culprit- talkative women!), but being pregnant makes me, well, grumpy.  All this is to preface what I am about to say.  I was in Relief Society for the beginning of the lesson but had to leave a few minutes into it, thanks to my oh so spirited Anna.  We ended up by the Mother's lounge, and then by Daddy's class, where he mercifully agreed to take her because she wasn't yelling at him, just me.  When I made it back to R. S., I was intrigued by the discussion.  The ladies in the room were monopolizing the lesson with comments and stories, not unheard of at times.  That, in and of itself, is certainly not a bad thing.  What bothered me was the gist of the comments, and the fact that they continued on for the next 15 minutes or so along the same line, without deviating from their theme.

The idea was that morality, or virtue, is determined  by the way women dress.  Well, that was the take home I gathered from it, anyways.  I went back and looked up the talks today, after asking the teacher from last week what they were, as I had missed that part of the lesson.  The talks are great talks: "Dare to Stand Alone" and "Stand in Holy Places", both given by President Thomas S. Monson.  I don't object to anything in the talks themselves, except for perhaps the excessive storytelling nature, but that's just the way he rolls.  They are uplifting and inspiring.  So, how did we get from the concept of personal righteousness and worthiness, knowing right from wrong, and end up discussing the scandalous way in which so many women dress, and what we can do about it?  I don't know.  Maybe I wouldn't be so disturbed if I hadn't missed half of the lesson.  The reason it bothered me is threefold.  One, why should we care so much about what other people are doing?  We're not in their shoes, we don't know where they're coming from, and we all know what the Saviour himself had to say about judgement.  It's simply not our place.  And if you're worried about your teenage sons, they can turn their heads.  Breasts are part of life, and they're going to see them sooner or later.  Two, focusing on that one thing seems to superficial.  Virtues, ethics, morals are such an interesting topic.  There is so much you could discuss.  For heaven's sake, I've been teaching a philosophy class this semester, I could go off about different ethical views and approaches to being a good person.  The focus on whether, for example, a girl is covering her shoulders, is such a letter of the law, not spirit of the law thing.  I don't want my children concerned with the letter of the law, I want them to understand the spirit of the law.  Why do we take good care of our bodies?  Why do we treat other people's bodies (and spirits) with respect?  Why should we try to do the right thing and How do we try to do the right thing?  Third,  the whole discussion of men and women and women's responsibilities for somehow being responsible for men's thoughts and actions (or implicated as such) pushes every feminist button I have.  I should be able to wear whatever I want, if a man looks and thinks something, then too bad.  Because of the testimony I have I DO care what I wear, but I can see how people in other situations may not feel the same way, and I in no way believe that they should be held responsible for other's thought or actions.  As I tell my children, you cannot control what someone else is doing, you can only control what you are doing.  Don't tell me what someone else is doing wrong- do everything you can to put yourself in the place you need to be and control yourself, because that is ALL you have control over.  We all have agency. 

Well, off my soapbox now- but I have a feeling I won't be in R.S. much anyways before the baby comes.  I spent that period in nursery today with Anna (who can't go for 6 more months!) and was so much more relaxed.  She was a much happier person in there, enjoying snack time, toys, etc.  I have a feeling we'll be visiting nearly every week, and that might not be such a bad thing- We'll both be happy there.  The 2 and 3 year old's don't make comments that drive me up the wall nearly every Sunday ( ;  Oh well.  This season, too, shall pass! 

5 comments:

Tina said...

It is interesting that you blogged about this. I didn't know the theme of RS meeting, but the sister next to me DID know and she became disturbed enough that she got up and left the class. She had to leave or explode! I agree with you that these conversations need to be put back "on the straight and narrow path" that the lesson dictates! You are NOT alone!

Love your comments. Having the children I do, I know that you can be a good person and not live the letter of the law . . . . darn, that was/is a hard lesson to learn!

Unknown said...

Tina even tried to bring the lesson back around to the theme! I was annoyed at how off topic the comments became but just shrugged it off. I tried to understand what the ladies were meaning vs what they were saying. However I do have some comments about your post: 1) while everyone has agency and it is not our place to judge others-it is my job as a mother to judge a situation and determine whether it will be potentially harmful and destructive to my kids. What women wear is one of these! I don't take my children to certain places because I do not want to overtly expose them to blatant sexuality and immodesty. That is one reason I turned off cable! There is a difference b/w judging a person as to their eternal standing with God and judging their actions or what they say, do, wear to determine whether you want to have that person influence your life. I choose not to surround myself with harmful people/things. However, I do not gossip about them, damn them, or even dislike them! I would serve them if they needed anything! I love them as Children of Heavenly Father. I just don't love and agree with their choices.

LeeAnn said...

Thanks for this post. Good to know I was not alone in my thinking and frustration that day. BTW Sundays do get better as children get older. I promise! I did have to ban Megan from sitting by me for a few years when she was a mindless teenager though. She would always pinch me to cause distractions. She was assigned a seat by her father until she could control herself!

Cunningham Blog said...

You'll have to print this blog off and keep it as a reminder to not judge when girls wearing too short of shorts or too tight of shirts start calling your sons ;)

Emily said...

I've definitely been in those situations before, and they are frustrating and its hard to leave feeling uplifted. I think Elder Uchtdorf said it best at conference
"to those that judge others I offer this prophetic counsel Stop It!"
I think your right sometimes we get so caught up with the letter we forget the spirit. Although the letter is very important we need to understand the WHY we are doing it, or true conversion can't happen.
Thanks for the great reminder!