Due to some misunderstandings among friends and family John and I wanted to clarify. We are not vegans. We eat sugar, and yes, enjoy white flour on occasion. We are not even true vegetarians.
We still fall in the 'almost' camp. I really prefer my diet this way now, there are so many yummy things to eat in this world that do not involve meat. Luckily, we don't have any soy allergies around here, so it is easy to incorporate extra calcium and protein into our diets that way.
We still eat meat on occasion, I bought meatballs at IKEA (hanging head in shame). And John doesn't mind it when he can get some ( ; The main reasons behind this dietary change are twofold: to better live the Word of Wisdom (an LDS scriptural health code) and to reduce our carbon footprint by making more efficient use of land, energy and resources with a plant based diet. Doctrine and Covenants 89:12-13 reads: Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly; And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.
In other words, while an appropriate food source on occasion, they should be used sparingly and with gratitude. Certainly not consumed on the daily or more basis, raised in terrible factory farms basis they are now! Just the gospel according to Susie. As far as the environmental impact of eating meat, a quick google search will glean a great deal of information if you're interested.
On a side note, I am a bit of a soft heart as well, so there are some humane reasons tied in there for me as well, but that was never enough of an issue to change things- the other information is what let me to make the change.
Now go enjoy that big steak! ( :
Monday, January 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Good for you...I have tried to incorporate more shrimp/fish and quinoa in my diet since having a frank discussion with my sister about what it takes to raise livestock and how much land resources they use when you could eat those land resources yourself ten times over. I could never give it up all the way though, I am a carnivore.
I did make those cookies from playgroup you made and they were delish! Tell me how the brownies are because I love me a good (healthier) brownie.
ps Italy is going to ROCK! so jealous.
You big veggie loving weirdo! Oh wait, I am still not talking to you because you are going to Italy without me. hmph. =P
Post a Comment