CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 29, 2010

Spiritual Languages

I've been contemplating once again my need for spirituality. There was a recent discussion on Feminist Mormon Housewives about spiritual languages, similar to the love languages, and it made me think about what speaks to me spiritually. It must come as no surprise that I believe one of my primary languages is music. It saddens me to have no formal easter service at church, with the beautiful easter hymns. But, I hope to hear uplifting choral music during the General Conference this Easter Sunday and vibrant joyful Allelujahs to remind me of the joy of the sacred holiday. It is one of the reasons I am pursuing study of music, despite the cost in time and money. Music brings me great joy and allows for emotions and feelings that can be otherwise hard to share or portray.
I also enjoy rituals and symbolism, which is probably one of the reasons I adapted easily to temple worship. I am a bit of a non-literalist, but find great beauty in symbols, ritual and allegory. I find this lacking in the Church's celebration of sacred holidays, which bothers me, but I realize that this spiritual language is not one that everybody shares. So, I feel that I should try to incorporate more ritual and symbolism in my life as a personal choice: perhaps celebrating passover and/or lent, and maybe attending a traditional Easter or Christmas service at and orthodox church on occasion, just to enjoy the beauty of the ritual. And of course, on an obvious note, I should make more time to find babysitters and participate in temple worship.
One language I feel I am not fluent in, and should strengthen is scripture study. I found great pleasure as a young woman in studying the scriptures, learning every story, and being the fastest scripture chaser. I was consistent in my study, and found it hard to imagine not having that in my life everyday. Fast forward 15 years, and I find it very difficult to incorporate it into my routine. I know I should, I just haven't been focused on doing it. Questions in the past 5 years distanced me a bit from beliefs, and while I feel I am comfortable with where my faith stands at the moment, I certainly have room for improvement. If I could just make sure to squeeze in a little time everyday, it would strengthen me. Any ideas for topical study or something to mix it up. I am somewhat bored with what I have been doing- years of seminary/institute classes, reading books straight through (the Old Testament just about made me crazy!), and then studying by faith, hope and charity as topics. Please feel free to send some suggestions my way. What are your spiritual languages?

3 comments:

LeeAnn said...

Hey Susie- I am stalking your blog so of couse I have to comment right!?!? Okay here it goes....Man! I haven't even gotten the love languages down and now there are sprititual ones too!!! Boy am I in trouble!

Tina said...

I too am bummed out about not having an "Easter Sunday" in our ward this year. Especially a MUSIC Easter Sunday. This ward is the LEAST musical (at Easter time) ward I've ever been in!!! and to have NOTHING is quite inconceivable!

Emily said...

We enjoyed your neck of the woods! I have never thought about spiritual language before, but I think mine would be music as well. As far as studying scriptures, its tough with little ones. Something to break it up that I have used is the Preach my Gospel manual. They have a whole chapter dedicated to study! Take Care!