There is never a dull moment in life. And it seems when you're on top of your game, something will come along to put you back in your place, in a manner of speaking. The Kapeleris clan has been doing pretty well. The garden has gone to weed, literally, but we do fun things together, I'm happy with the kids academic progress, I've been making time for singing, life is just good. So, in the midst of this pretty decent life I decide to run errands on Thursday. Thursday is usually our "off" day for cleaning, errands, field trips, etc. I prefer to shop without the kids, but when I have a voice lesson in the afternoon I don't have much of a choice. We trekked into Safeway first- where we started out with the gumball machines- nothing keeps 5 kids happy like some good old fashioned sugar (Anna excepted, of course). After much disappointment as they were out of most sale items (the only reason we came), we left to stop by our favorite farm stand, then Aldi. Once we arrived at Aldi, Sophia turned into a sobbing mess. Something about the threshold causes the girls to dissolve into sobs 75% of the time. I'd call it black magic if I didn't know better. After averting a TOTAL meltdown by retreating to the restroom, we went on our merry way. We were nearly done shopping when a gentleman made the nicest comments. He complimented me and my manner with the children, and said how well behaved they were. Another woman in the produce section nearby chimed in with her comments. Then the man said they should send me to Washington to run things, because if I can do this- I could certainly handle that. No thanks! Although, I HAVE often thought that certain experienced mothers would run a better government than most of these men. Call me sexist but I can pinch pennies and balance a budget like nobody's business, and resolve countless juvenile disputes in a day. Maybe I am suited for Washington after all ( :
Back to topic. I left the store feeling happy and appreciated. I've got this mothering thing down, right? We went to our last stop, Costco. Everyone but Lori (who is mostly potty trained, except for when she just doesn't care, which has been more than I like lately) had used the restroom at Aldi. I asked her and she said she didn't need to. End of story. We're sailing through Costco and I'm feeling pretty good about myself. At one of the last sample tables, I see a depressing sight. Clear fluid is dripping, no, pouring from the cart, onto the shiny, smooth concrete floor. You have to be kidding. A sample pusher says, "Ma'am, something in your cart is leaking." Yes, there is a leak. It's my 2 year old. Back to the reality of never quite having this parenting thing down! The sample pushers didn't really understand my "it's my 2 year old" reply. Either they were stupid or just didn't think it was funny. But, after being handed some paper towels to wipe up the trail, we were on our merry way. By the way, bending down with a baby in a sling to wipe urine off of a cement floor is not cool. Oh well. Now I feel like your run of the mill mom, just doing the best I can, trying to enjoy every minute and know when to just say, "There's never a dull moment!"
Saturday, October 8, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
I had to chuckle....Ma'am your cart is leaking. SO FUNNY! I am really surprised she didn't get that it was your 2-year-old.
Girl, I hear you and feel you. Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment