CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Education-

For those who have expressed interest (that's you Yia-Yia and Christina ( : ) I thought I should do a quick update on this new to us education journey. I met with Christopher's teacher this week (Tuesday?) and had an interesting conversation with her. Christopher's assessments weren't spectacular, he was near the top of the class, but not at the top, but I found that he knew most of the things she was telling me about. He must not test well, like his Daddy. So, she discussed the benefits of staying in Kindergarten, and how he could use the time to adapt emotionally and have less pressure. She also said he takes his sweet time (not her words) doing projects, which isn't a surprise to me. I'm always pushing him to hurry, whether we're dealing with getting out of the door, schoolwork, chores, eating. That's just the way he is. So, he could also use the practice in time management. I was reluctantly forced to deal with the fact that without her support/encouragement he'll probably stay in the Kindergarten class. I really don't want to make a huge fuss for one year. As long as we supplement at home, we'll manage somehow when we start again next year. And, his teacher is a great woman, and I know she has the best interest of each child at heart. Tomorrow I meet with the Gifted teacher to go over Christopher's work at home, and discuss what we can do to keep him challenged at school. I am excited to meet with her, and continue being proactive in his education. I don't want to be one of those pushy parents insisting that my child is brilliant, because frankly, I don't believe he is, and even if he was, what does that really mean? But, I do know he is bright and capable of far more than what they have been doing thus far in the kindergarten curriculum. So, hopefully, there will be some progress there.

No comments: