I've been thinking about this for a while now, but with a multitude of ailments afflicting various members of the family, including teething, upper respiratory infections (otherwise known as our friend the common cold), gastrointestinal discontent, and at least one ear infection, I've been just a little preoccupied. Throw in a 8 1/2 month pregnant, tired Mommy and a Daddy working long hours and you've got a recipe for delayed blogging.
So, back to the story. Lent. Why do I need Lent? As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I'm not sure when I even gained an awareness of Lent. Certainly not until I was in my teens. For a few reasons (I'm assuming most of them are cultural/historical and not doctrinal) we don't celebrate Lent. And although Easter holds a very important spot in our doctrinal beliefs, the actual practice of celebrating it has no set ritual or even common worship program. Easter Sunday is celebrated differently in every ward, and, as a music lover, I have noticed an appalling lack of Easter music in the Sacrament meetings, I am sad to say.
Last week, as I was perusing the calendar, I noticed it was Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras). While Mardi Gras is one tradition I don't mind not observing (Let's sin as much as we can, while we can!) The day has some interesting concepts underpinning it. A devout observer of Lent should prepare himself for Lent and confession at this time. Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent, symbolizing the 40 days before Easter (not including Sundays). During Lent it is traditional to give something up, such as chocolate, meat, a particular sin, swearing, etc. I also ran across an interesting idea last week of committing to perform one act of generosity/kindness each day as a sacrifice, which although not a traditional interpretation of the Easter preparations, seems particularly fitting in order to sanctify oneself and honor the life of our Saviour. Ash Wednesday and every Friday are days of fasting, or meatless meals, and the idea of the whole observance is to prepare to observe the Holiday of Easter, with appreciation for all of its significance.
Now, here's where me being a hypocrite comes in. I was reading about Lent and thinking, wow, I really need to observe that, what a terrific tradition, it's too bad our faith doesn't incorporate something like that. But, then everybody got sick and things got crazy and I plumb forgot. Oh no. I will be focusing more in the upcoming weeks on preparing myself for Easter (and our Easter bundle!), but not observing Lent in any recognizable format. So, next year will be the year. Perhaps you can point us out, the crazy Mormon family observing a Catholic/Lutheran/Orthodox tradition. And, perhaps I can convince the ward music director wherever we are to put together an extraordinary musical program giving a topic with the doctrinal importance of the death and resurrection of the Lord it's full due.
Anybody have thoughts on Lent, or the LDS celebration of Easter that they would like to share? Please do.
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
Actually I have often wondered why in the church Easter seems to get brushed by while Christmas is always given its due recognition. Its seems to me that Easter is the single most important reason of why we are here, I have pondered over the last few years how to make it more meaningful in my little family instead of just easter baskets, eggs and new sunday dresses (although I do like those things too :-) I think what you are doing with Lent is really neat.
Down here Mardi Gras is huge. Yet everyone seems to forget the lent part. I noticed that a lot in high school too. Granted, high schoolers aren't the best examples usually of religious practice. But to the point, I have thought a lot about lent and what the point is and the significance, and why we don't focus on Easter as a church either.
I think it is because we are taught and expected to pretty much have Lent all the time. I am no expert on the subject so maybe I have it wrong, but why would Jesus want you to give up chocolate for 40 days? How does that better you or bring you closer to him? After the period is over most people I have encountered go back to their same ways.
For me, I think the idea of giving up something to bring you closer to the Savior is fantastic. That was my actual New Year's goal. But I think that you need to constantly be changing and improving. Which I think is what Lent is trying to accomplish. (I hope this is all making sense) We all should be giving up something constantly to better ourselves and be more Christ like. For me lately is has been less of me time and more time connecting with my kids or reading scriptures and doctrine. I loved the idea you gave of doing service everyday.
I think for this very concept, the church doesn't have a specific time frame for us to give or make ourselves better. We should be doing it all the time and on our own.
I still haven't figured out how to bring this idea to the kids yet, but I am working on it. We give them tiny Easter baskets and do and egg hunt. But I don't think we have ever said it was the Easter bunny. I am hoping once they get a little older to bring the true Easter holiday to be the focus.
Sorry this was so long, but it is something I have been thinking a lot about. I think that other faiths having Lent is the perfect time for us as Latter Day Saints to be reminded of how we can draw closer to the Savior ourselves and how we need to constantly be preparing for his coming.
Roark says: Aren't all the songs Easter songs in a way?
Mary says: I wish I was feeling fabulous and could put together an amazing program for you! (It might help if anyone would show up to practice!) I observed Lent a few years ago with a friend who is catholic. We gave up ice cream and we did something nice for someone else every day. It was fun. Also, growing up my mom always had the easter bunny come on saturday so we could seperate the "church from state" if you get my drift. It helped us focus better on sunday when we could leanr the real meaning of the holiday (plus we weren't on such a sugar high at church and I am sure my teachers were thankful!)
I remember in high school on Fridays (during Lent) they would only serve fish. Which I didn't mind, because they served YUMMY lemon bars TOO! I am sure you wanted to think of something extra, but in many ways you continuously observe "Lent". To name just a few thinks: you don't have cable, you don't drink or smoke, you are giving up your precious time to be with your kids, you are giving up yourself in order to bring another child into this world...boy, you observe "Lent" all year!
Always such great food for thought Susie. My husband being Catholic doesn't make me an expert on the subject, but I think that it's one of those things we don't officially observe as a church, because as Brittany pointed out these are things we as LDS members try to incorporate in our every day lives. But they are good things and the 40 days can serve as a reminder for how we should try and be every day in our lives as followers of Christ.
P.S. As you well know, I'm all about the musical sacrament meetings. Maybe I'll help plan something while Mary is tending to her little addition. Even if all that means is volunteering to do a piece. It's about time I got my butt up to perform in this ward. I miss being up in NY where all us Eastman Music students would always have something we were performing in church especially for holidays like Easter and Christmas.
Okay, as probably the only Catholic reading this blog (haha or maybe not?) I'll leave a comment. :)
Lent is a special period where you either sacrifice something that will increase your faith, as you rely on God and not on your ordinary pleasures, but it is also a time when you may add something to enrich your life as well.
Haha it would be something if Catholics only did this for 40 days out of an entire year... what about the rest of the time? We're really intended to keep our Lenten changes for the better all throughout our lives, every year growing more and more in Holiness. But as others mentioned, challenging your faith is done all year round. Catholics do this, but just to make sure that we're not forgetting to challenge ourselves... well there comes Lent and a reminder! We don't want to take Easter for granted, after all, because our minds are so busy and out of focus.
Thanks for the entry Susie.
Post a Comment