In case you're interested in reading it, I thought I'd share the sacrament meeting talk I gave today. I really enjoyed preparing it. Although my testimony has had its ups and downs, one thing I have never doubted is the existence of God and his merciful offer of salvation to all. I am so grateful for that! So, here goes. . .
Salvation-
My name is Susie Kapeleris and our family recently moved into the ward. We consider ourselves globetrotters: we met at BYU-Hawaii, married, and have lived in Arlington VA, Idaho, Uijongbu South Korea, and Fort Leonard Wood MO. We have 4 children: 2 girls and 2 boys and are looking forward to putting down some roots here in Waldorf. I could mention many more things about our interests and the Kapeleris clan in a nutshell, but will force you to find out the hard way: getting to know me.
As the mother of young children light plays an important role in my life. In the quest to save energy I have often turned off the hall light after the children are sleeping. I sometimes think, oh surely they won’t notice it tonight, they are sleeping soundly, but the darkness never fails to inflict terrific terror. However, we have learned that a nightlight or bathroom light must stay on, or there is invariable a shout in the darkness at 2 am. Mom!! It’s too dark in here! Where is the light? Turn it on! As young children they have an inherent fear of darkness, and appreciation of light. Their relief is palpable as the switch is flipped, flooding the hall with light.This material light is not the only light that affects my life- far more important is the true Light- Psalm 27:1 The Lord is my alight and my bsalvation; whom shall I cfear? the Lord is the dstrength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
James Nicholson created a beautiful reminder of these thoughts in Hymn 89 The Lord is my Light :
The Lord is my light, then why should I fear? By day and by night his presence is near. He is my salvation from sorrow and sin; this blessed assurance the spirit doth bring.
The Lord is MY light in bringing me the opportunity to find salvation. Reading a recent talk by Russel M Nelson I was struck by the sheer simplicity and beauty of our heavenly father’s plan. He stated
Our ministry is to bless the lives of all who will learn and follow the “more excellent way” of the Lord.5 And we are to help people prepare for their potential salvation and exaltation.
The third article of faith declares that “through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.”
To be saved—or to gain salvation—means to be saved from physical and spiritual death. Because of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, all people will be resurrected and saved from physical death. People may also be saved from individual spiritual death through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, by their faith in Him, by living in obedience to the laws and ordinances of His gospel, and by serving Him.
Websters dictionary includes in their definition of salvation not only the standard definition of deliverance from sin but also
2 : liberation from ignorance or illusion
3 a : preservation from destruction or failure b : deliverance from danger or difficulty
In this sense the Saviour brings salvation from the darkness of destruction, or ignorance- through faith in Him as the hope of our salvation. He is the word and all good and knowledge stems from him.
As I have grown in the gospel one thing I see more and more in gospel ordinances is the central role of our savior in all that is good. Each time I go to the temple I contemplate the role of Christ in offering salvation to all mankind. Divine grace is offered to all who will accept it. It is easy sometimes to forget the role of grace in our salvation, and believe it all rests on us. Of course Jesus died for us, but I am so beyond saving, he can’t possibly help me. Or- maybe if I follow this formula, attend more meetings, or bake more cookies.
In order to gain salvation we need not necessarily do these things. They may be helpful, but if they do not bring us closer in a personal relationship to God, they are for naught.
Titus 2:11 For the agrace of God bthat bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Romans 1:16 For I am not aashamed of the bgospel of Christ: for it is the cpower of God unto dsalvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Salvation will be found as we truly accept Christ as our savior and strive to live as he lived.
Mosiah 13:28 And moreover, I say unto you, that asalvation doth not come by the blaw alone; and were it not for the catonement, which God himself shall make for the sins and iniquities of his people, that they must unavoidably perish, notwithstanding the law of Moses.
Of course, we must live up to our end of the bargain- God has given us the gift of Grace, but we must try to follow his laws.
Mosiah 3:18 18 For behold he judgeth, and his judgment is just; and the infant perisheth not that dieth in his infancy; but men drink adamnation to their own souls except they humble themselves and bbecome as little children, and believe that csalvation was, and is, and is to come, in and through the datoning blood of Christ, the Lord Omnipotent.
We need to be on a quest for improvement in order to attain salvation. Faith, repentance and baptism are essential steps on the path that leads toward salvation – Article of Faith 4 states
4 We believe that the first principles and aordinances of the Gospel are: first, bFaith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, cRepentance; third, dBaptism by eimmersion for the fremission of sins; fourth, Laying on of ghands for the hgift of the Holy Ghost.
These are the laws and ordinances of the gospel mentioned in A of Faith 3. 25 years ago, in October 1984 Bruce R McConkie offered a litmus test to evaluate where we are at on the path to salvation.
“I propose some simple tests that all of us may take to determine if we are true to the faith. They consist of a few basic questions, all of which must be answered correctly in order to gain the full blessings of the gospel in this life and inherit eternal life in the realms ahead.
Our well-beloved brother Paul, an Apostle of old, counsels us in these words: “Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves.” (2 Cor. 13:5.)
And we may well ask ourselves: Do we believe all of the doctrines of salvation? Are we keeping the commandments? Are we valiant in the cause of truth and righteousness? Will we be saved in the kingdom of God?
From among many questions that all of us must one day answer, let me test you on these:
Test one: Do I worship the only true and living God?
Test two: Do I believe in the fall of Adam?
Test three: Do I believe in the atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ?
Test four: Do I accept the true plan of salvation?
Test five: Do I believe the gospel as it has been restored in this final dispensation of grace?
Test six: Am I a faithful member of the true Church?
Test seven: Do I honor Joseph Smith as the great prophet of the Restoration?
Test eight: Am I enduring to the end, growing in grace, and gaining the attributes of godliness?
Test nine: Do I put first in my life the things of God’s kingdom? Is it with me and mine the kingdom of God or nothing?
Test ten: Am I so living that I will be saved in the kingdom of God?
I believe It would be wise for each of us to occasionally pause and ask ourselves these questions- pondering as we evaluate the state of our salvation. As I pondered the topic of salvation I racked my brain looking for personal examples, finally, I turned to John and said- I don’t have any personal experiences with salvation, it’s a work in progress for me. And the thing is, it is a work in progress for each of us, Unlike many Christian denominations, most Latter day Saints would be hard pressed to definitively say that they have been saved. Because of our belief in enduring to the end, it is in a state of flux.
Just as my children cry out for the light to ease their fears of unknown horrors, we should hear our souls cries for the light. The horrors our spirits face are far too real, but there is a light to dissipate the darkness and redeem us. Taking the opportunity to evaluate where we are at in working out our own salvation will allow us to find the flashlight, or flip the light switch to bring the light of the savior into our own lives.
Testimony
God lives- loves each of us Jesus dies and atoned for our sins through him families families can be together forever- J. S. restored the gospel and the scriptures and modern church leaders offer guidance to salvation
I bear witness of these truths, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Sunday, August 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
The talk was great and you did a wonderful job despite what Brother Franklin said :)
We even used the light in the hallway reference in my primary class, so even they must have been listening...and that is no small feat.
Post a Comment