CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 28, 2009

School?



I'll share some fun posts later, but wanted to take a minute to share what's been on my mind lately. As you can see, by the generic image of a school bus, John and I have decided to send Christopher to public school this year. This goes against everything I know to be good and true in some senses (no offense to my public schooling friends!). John and I are big believers in the Classical method of education. We believe that by using a trivium based approach to learning and emphasizing grammar, or rote skills, at this age, our children will learn HOW to think. We know they are capable of a great deal and enjoy pushing them to learn. Over the past year or so I've especially enjoyed the chance to observe the joy of discovery as my children's eyes light up. I've taught in a number of situations and enjoy the innate reward of helping children learn- but watching your own children learn really takes the cake.

We started our school year back up a few weeks ago. Ordered everything, and got to work. I have been enjoying the curriculum: Biology- so far learning about animals and narrating what we've learned, Ancient history- with map work, and narration, and reading and questions, Math- finishing up the 1st grade curriculum and he's doing great, and Language arts, including Phonics (almost done), spelling, copywork and fun reading. However, I've been pushing him everyday, with the occasional moment of frustration and burnout. It's taking a tremendous amount of time to plan and implement while caring for the other children, the house, and TRYING to work on my thesis.

So, after a great deal of discussion, and prayerful, contemplative thought, John and I have decided to send Christopher to school. I still feel that I could do a better job (!)- but right now I am trying to finish my schooling. All that's left to complete the masters degree I've been working on for more than 3 1/2 years is this thesis, and I am in the midst of finishing reading all of my research so I can start typing. And, I am unable to find the time I need to do that AND devote the proper energy to running a good homeschool. So, we made the decision to TEMPORARILY immerse our child in the school system. It's a pretty great school, with an award winning principal, smartboards in every room, computers, etc. We're trying to get him in a first grade class, although he'll start out in Kindergarten before they do all of the testing. I kind of feel like I'm selling out, because I'm still committed to the classical education method, and believe my children will learn best at home. However, At this time, it's just not practical and reality is trumping my ideals. On the bright side, I feel that when Momma's happy, everybody's happy, and I'm looking forward to devoting more energy to my schoolwork so I can FINALLY earn that degree! And I'm sure Christopher will make new friends and excel. But, boy, I wish I wasn't an adult having to make such (seemingly)difficult choices.

4 comments:

Amy Jane said...

Susie,

It sounds to me like you made the right decision for your family at this point in time, so don't sweat it! And even if you believe that homeschooling would be best for Christopher, there will surely be advantages and "pluses" to school - some you may not even anticipate. And the important thing is that in the end, all of your children are going to turn out beautifully - I have no doubt whatsoever of that! Enjoy your lightened schedule and get to work on that thesis! :) Let us know how it goes...

Sylvia said...

Who's his teacher? Peyton and both the Moore boys are all in different Kindergarten classes...so he'll at least have 1 friend in his class :)
I'm sure both you and Christopher will do great this school year.

Household 6 said...

I know that for you to choose to send him to school, the alternative had to be pretty bad. It does seem necessary and with time your circumstances will change. With as involved as you two are as parents, I can't see Christopher growing up as anything but independent and thoughtful.

I'm going to very curious to see how he/you like his transition. You will post updates won't you? ;)

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

I hope it goes well! But knowing Christopher, it will. He will excel anywhere. As for the mantle...I am not good at that. I too love the bookshelves around it. Maybe if you could do a more substantial mantle and like you said paint....but what color and where and...yeah. I'm excited to see the pictures of what you end up doing!