CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Recent food discoveries

I recently discovered some yummy food tricks, and because I am all about food (as evidenced by my snuggly soft self) I thought I would share. Like most Americans, I enjoy lasagna. I have made many different versions, with many different noodles, and boil or no boil. The other day, while making egg rolls, I noticed something interesting. The insert suggested using the egg roll wrappers as lasagna noodles. I figured I didn't have anything to lose, because I still had half a package of wrappers that needed used, so I used them in a recipe of my own devising. It was delicious! They were so easy to use, you just laid them down like any fresh pasta, and it tasted great. And, to top it all off- the package of egg roll wrappers, which will make a big batch of egg rolls and a 9 x 13 of lasagna costs less than $1.75! (note- I can't guarantee the same for you, obviously). So, next time you're at the market, consider being brave and picking up Nasoya egg roll wrappers.

I also discovered yesterday that Sourdough bread makes awesome french toast. Cracker Barrel serves it, but I've always thought sourdough is a strange choice for the sweet type of french toast I enjoy. But, sometimes you just have to say, "What the heck, I'll give it a try." So, I used organic sourdough bread yesterday morning to make my traditional french toast, and it was yummy! Also, I've recently discovered the awesome advantages of keeping a big bag of frozen blueberries in the freezer. Love, love, love real blueberry muffins or waffles, and smoothies! There's my 2 cooking cents for the day.

1 comment:

Amy Jane said...

Susie,

I totally agree about the blueberries in the freezer! I used frozen berries in those muffins I brought to MOPS. I have a great recipe for veggie lasagna that you make in the crockpot. It's yummy. I'll have to share it with you sometime.