CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Thoughts on the benefit of bedrest

I've been thinking an awful lot lately, and not doing much else. I am used to the normal nausea, fatigue and overall ickiness of the first trimester. Having 4 pregnancies in 5 or 6 years will do that to you. ( ; Although I am used to it, I am not particularly fond of it, and believe it is one of those things like labor, where if people really remembered what it was like, it would be a world full of only children. So, although I find this stage of pregnancy utterly miserable, I can deal with it, and still more or less function.

Having had 3 prior pregnancies that I sailed through, the little complication in this one has been especially difficult for me to adjust to. I've never viewed pregnancy as an illness, or problem, but as a natural and beautiful function of the female body. This pregnancy has been a little different, forcing me to step back and prioritize everything in my life. Like many others, although I am a stay at home mom, I don't actually do a lot of staying at home. I have been involved in MOPS, playgroups, library storytime, various church responsibilities, and all the miscellaneous errands involved with running a household. I always volunteer to help with enrichment activities, service opportunities, etc. I enjoy cooking and baking from scratch, working towards my degree, and teaching my children. But, the continued advice of modified bed rest has thrown all of these things aside.

Suddenly, this go, go, go is drastically slowing down. Being forced to evaluate what is really important in life is oh so hard, but strangely refreshing. I can go to Enrichment without planning half of it. I don't have to be involved in everything under the sun, or even get the kids out of the house every day, and the world still continues to revolve. Some days may not be particularly productive (certainly not blogworthy), but if I end the day with children who are clothed and fed, a little new knowledge in everyone's mind, and a fetus who is continuing to grow and develop- that qualifies as a good day. My health and the health of this unborn child are taking top priority. There is a time and a season for everything and I am beginning to see some benefits to this blasted 'modified bedrest'. When else can I enjoy a few hours of cartoons with the children everyday without guilt, or spend so much time focusing on what is most important in my life, instead of worrying about what dish I am bringing to the next potluck, where the kids need to be next, and stressing about the neverending mess at home.

PS- My OB recommended that I continue my very modified activity routine for the foreseeable future, until I have an ultrasound showing that the hematoma has resolved. So, the adventure will continue for a while, but I am determined to make the most of it, messy house and all ( :

2 comments:

Amy Jane said...

Susie,

Hey! I found your blog through Mary's, and I love it! You have such a great "voice," and it's really nice to feel like I'm getting to know you better. I love reading what you have to say - you're very articulate and intelligent. I hope you're doing OK - I have a feeling you won't be at MOPS this time; I'll sure miss you! I hope you can join us soon. Be sure to let us know if you need anything.

Amy

Cassie said...

I think you are right about the time and season for everything comment. I am excited for you and this baby, you'll do fine I just know it.