By far, one of my favorite aspects of my time in Italy was the time exploring the Chieses (Churches) that seemed to be on every corner. The Catholic church is fascinating to me and I have enjoyed many discussions with Catholic friends in the past. I feel they have so much truth and goodness, and such an interesting history. The opportunity to view Cathedrals in the birthplace of Catholicism was terrific. Each church was so beautiful, and unique in different ways. There were some kind of disturbing things though, like the Church of Santa Rosa where my friend Jennifer and I suddenly realized they had the mummified remains of Saint Rose on display. That is enough to give a young child nightmares. And my friend (a member of the Catholic faith)and I planned to attend mass in one chapel but left due to discomfort. Perhaps not coincidentally, that chapel, drumroll please, had a disturbing history, being founded as a refuge from demons attacking the city 800+ years ago. Interesting. But, for the most part, the chapels were full of beauty and a peaceful spirit and presented an opportunity to consider faith and beliefs from many angles.
Sunday, August 15, 2010
Churches
By far, one of my favorite aspects of my time in Italy was the time exploring the Chieses (Churches) that seemed to be on every corner. The Catholic church is fascinating to me and I have enjoyed many discussions with Catholic friends in the past. I feel they have so much truth and goodness, and such an interesting history. The opportunity to view Cathedrals in the birthplace of Catholicism was terrific. Each church was so beautiful, and unique in different ways. There were some kind of disturbing things though, like the Church of Santa Rosa where my friend Jennifer and I suddenly realized they had the mummified remains of Saint Rose on display. That is enough to give a young child nightmares. And my friend (a member of the Catholic faith)and I planned to attend mass in one chapel but left due to discomfort. Perhaps not coincidentally, that chapel, drumroll please, had a disturbing history, being founded as a refuge from demons attacking the city 800+ years ago. Interesting. But, for the most part, the chapels were full of beauty and a peaceful spirit and presented an opportunity to consider faith and beliefs from many angles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment