I know everyone must be desperate to hear about my trip, so I thought I'd share a bit and let you all enjoy your weekend rather than waiting on pins and needles to hear what all about it.
My time in Italy involved the good, the bad, the ugly, and the terrific. I was a little concerned about the laid back nature of the program, lack of schedule and information before I got there, but I thought that surely when I got there they would have things together and I was just being an obsessive American. Unfortunately, while I may be an obsessive list making, semi-organized American, they were not any more efficient and organized after I arrived than before I came. Surprise, surprise. The first day was miserable- after a red-eye flight to Rome, where I literally slept maybe 30 minutes, I waited in the airport at a cafe for 5 hours for the rest of the singers to arrive, so we could take the bus to Viterbo. Oh my goodness, I was so exhausted. After handing us a schedule for the rest of the week we were dropped off at our apartments and left to fend for ourselves. I loved my little apartment, but the quiet and solitude was a mixed blessing.
I was able to watch a few performances of Suor Angelica that the ILA produced, which was quite interesting. Luckily, the crazy unorganized nature of the program created a strong bond between the singers, as we commiserated, helped each other with advice and tips on music and the area, and enjoyed free time eating or sightseeing. The other singers were predominantly from the United States but many were originally from other countries such as Armenia, Russia, China, etc. It was fabulous to hear the talent of each young woman and man, and learn by observation how to improve as a musician. More to come. . .
Friday, August 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment