CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Faith

I heard the most beautiful analogy of faith yesterday on Prairie Home Companion, of all places. Inspiration can come from many avenues! Garrison Keillor spoke of how he used to view faith as a building block. You used it as a foundation and them piled everything else on top of it. Now that he's older he says he realizes that faith, to him, is not so much a concrete thing, but a continual jourrney to find hope and show gratitude. Things aren't so clear cut, but he sees beauty throughout the process of finding faith.

The words struck a chord with me. I feel that I went through a similar transition a few years ago. I had a bit of a faith 'crisis' and had to come to terms with the fact that perhaps my definition of faith is slightly different than what it used to be. My beliefs are more nuanced and faith seems less a concrete thing to me, and more of a beautiful, joyful, shifting journey, with occasional doubt, discouragement or questions along the way. The funny thing is, I love the faith I have now. It makes sense to me, and with my beliefs in personal revelation, that is all I feel matters.

Have a blessed Sabbath.

1 comment:

LeeAnn said...

Faith is like perspective. As we get older it all changes. Highs and lows strengthen and change our faith just like it does our view and perspective on life and the world around us. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!