As most of you, but probably not all, realize, John and I are planning on homeschooling our children. We already teach, nurture and guide them during their early, most formative years, and continuing that responsibility throughout their school age learning years does not seem to be that big of a leap to make.
John and I take our inspiration for curriculum planning and general guidance mainly from "A Well- Trained Mind" by Susan Wise Bauer. I had been interested in homeschooling for years, as I was home educated as a teenager. John, although he was too polite to say so, viewed it a bit as a lunatic, extremist, crazy liberal or conservative thing to do. After all, we all know homeschoolers are a little bit wierd and socially inept. You know I just don't get on well with others at all ( ; (Please note the sarcasm). I heard about this book and read it, then convinced John to read it and he was converted. He literally had a change of heart and viewpoint. So, the plan now is to give our children a classical education at home.
We have begun with a preschool cooperative earlier this year. For the past few months we have been focusing on the essentials and trying to develop a routine. John and I have been spending 15 minutes/day at least 3 times a week doing phonics work, and 15 minutes/day 3 x week on math skills. We are also loosely trying to incorporate structured art/craft time, library storytime, physical exercise, history, science and geography. It is certainly a learning process for all of us, but already I am amazed at how Christopher is picking things up with his prereading skills and writing skills. What fun! I would like to keep a weekly record on this blog of our adventures in home educating our young children- the good, the bad and the ugly.
This week, I also hope to incorporate more summer fun- provided the vomiting stops.
Susie
Sunday, June 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
I admire you so much! I don't think I could do it. I am already looking forward to Chloe starting preschool this fall so I can get a break from her!
Post a Comment