CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A night at the Opera


I've been meaning to write about this for a few days, but am finally getting around to it. John and I went to the Opera Theatre of Saint Louis on Friday night and had a LOVELY time! They offer special discounted tickets for students and military for only $15, so the gas cost much more than the tickets did. The normal price range is $25-125. We saw Una Cosa Rara, which, despite the spanish title, was in English. There was a free lecture an hour before the performance that turned out to be very informative and interesting. The opera was so funny. It was a comedy first performed in 1786 in Vienna. Despite it's utter disappearance from performances today (they said the last time it was performed in the US was in the 20's) we thought it rather enjoyable. It was a very "fluffy" opera, with a silly plot, over the top neon green and pink scenery and costumes, and a great deal of silliness. But the music was fun and everybody was very talented. I couldn't believe how quickly 3 hours passed!

John and I also thoroughly enjoyed the fact that we were on a real date for so long. We stopped in Rolla on the way up to pick up food at Zeno's (Yummy!) and enjoyed a delicious dinner and desserts. We had hours to talk and snuggled like college students during the whole performance. It was so nice to dress up, walk around a beautiful moon lit campus and just enjoy each other's company! And, Sophia was good for the babysitter. I had been worried about leaving her for so long as she is still nursing, but she was super! She didn't fuss too much and was just rocked to sleep. So, all in all, it was a lovely night ( and morning!) We didn't get in until 1:30 pm, but even that was kind of fun- now if only we had kids who know how to sleep in the weekend would have been absolutely perfect ( :

2 comments:

brittanyandtravis said...

How fun! I'm glad you guys had a good time and I'm glad that your kids were great for the sitter! Maybe they can teach my girls to do that...

The Metcalf Five said...

I am so jealous that your husband is willing to go out on dates like that. How cool!!! My husband is the movie and dinner kind of guy. I can't remember the last time I was able to do something neat like that.