After a monster tantrum by the one and only drama king, Christopher, we were on our way back to the house with a load of berries and a few sundry items of garden goodness.
The boys enjoyed helping Mom wash the berries, and spin them dry in the salad/berry spinner.
Here is the counter full of supplies: Sugar, jars and lids, berries, pectin, check.
The process was more than a little messy. I spent all day putting out fires, figuratively and literally. The boys didn't nap and Teddy was constantly needing supervision and guidance. Thank goodness for having Mel there working with me! She was a lifesaver when I would need to run off and a pot was boiling. Teddy actually set fire to a napkin on the table at one point, and that's when I realized I cannot have any candles burning while he is awake. There's nothing quite like the thrill of checking on somebody, turning around, and turning back a few minutes later to see flames on top of your flammable wood table. Aaugh! In this picture you can see some of the mess accumulating.
And finally, the finished product. All that work for 12 12 oz. jars of glossy crimson goodness, and 4 quart of pie filling. Yum.
However, I think that may be my last attempt at canning without another parent present : P




3 comments:
WOW! That is very impressive! I couldn't help but laugh about Teddy starting a fire. I think Chloe would have flipped out once the thing caught on fire. Ah, the joys of motherhood :)
Yum Yum! That looks divine! I'm sure it will be worth it. You'll just laugh at this whole thing--someday.
The joys of jam making. That's why I've resorted to strawberry freezer jam. :) Much easier and not as sticky everywhere. lol.
Post a Comment