
I just wanted to say that I hope everyone had a lovely federal holiday! Whether or not you had time off, I hope you had the chance to reflect on civil rights and the complex history of social interaction in this country. Most of the day was spent simply enjoying the time off- sitting around with John, doing some cleaning projects and thesis work, and making dinner to bring to a Visiting Teaching sister. However, I have tried to ponder throughout the day what has been accomplished towards the goal of achieving racial and social equality and what remains to be done. We have come so far, and for that I am grateful and proud of my American citizenship. Of course, we still have a long way to go! We're not in a utopian society yet ( ; and I only hope we can all do our part to make an equitable society for all where every human being has the ability to progress and reach their potential.
John and I started out the weekend by watching "The Great Debaters" starring Denzel Washington. It was a terrific movie, and one we highly recommend to friends and family. John and I enjoyed the depiction of the education of the students- they were well grounded in so many classic sources, and it really strengthened our desire to see our children obtain a strong classical education. It also made us long for the amazing oratory skills the actors displayed and hope that we can instill some of those rhetorical skills in our children. For a "feel good" film it was surprisingly deep. THe character development was well done, the script well written (and somehow avoided being cheesy). Check it out!
Also, am I the only one who didn't realize (or maybe just didn't remember because of Pregnancy brain ( ; ) that MLK day is a national day of service- and we have been issued a call to volunteer and improve our communities? I feel kind of bad that I wasn't involved in any big projects- but maybe bringing dinner counts as something, right? Regardless of what we did or did not do today, perhaps we can all try to do a little more throughout the rest of the year and improve our communities little by little.




1 comment:
Have you ever read, "Team of Rivals"? It's aboug Lincoln and those who were also running for President (Chase, Bates, Seward). It's interesting to learn about their different degrees of antislavery standpoints and what contributed to their gaining their standpoint. I'm only a fifth of the way into it, and most of it goes right over my head (too many political references!) but it's a great history book.
Post a Comment