CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Thoughts on music

I wondered if anyone else had the opportunity to listen to the 'dream team' inaugural quartet on Tuesday. Whether or not you are politically savvy, it would be a shame to miss the beautiful performance. Yo-yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman, and two notable other musicians whose names I cannot recall (blame pregnancy brain, of course!). THey played a moving arrangement of the old Shaker hymn "Simple Gifts". Thanks to the Feminist Mormon Housewives website I was able to re-read the lyrics, which are oh so beautiful.

‘Tis the gift to be simple, ’tis the gift to be free,

‘Tis the gift to come down where you ought to be,

And when we find ourselves in the place just right,

‘Twill be in the valley of love and delight.

When true simplicity is gain’d,

To bow and to bend we shan’t be asham’d,

To turn, turn will be our delight,

Till by turning, turning we come round right.

Elder Joseph Brackett, 1848

It was so lovely to watch the performers as they played, with the obvious joy on their faces of performing a perfectly arranged piece magnificently. Admittedly, I was at first a bit surprised to find out they had prerecorded the piece in order to avoid weather and cold related disasters. But, it does not take the beauty out of the performance.

On another musical note, we had a ward choir performance today (it wasn't too bad). The great part was that we sang the hymn "How great thou art". THis is one of my favorite hymns of all time (which isn't saying much, since I have at least a dozen, but back on track).

So, if you're looking for some inspiration, I thought I'd share the awe inspiring lyrics to that too

Oh Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder consider all the worlds (works) thy hands have made. I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder, thy power throughout the universe displayed.

When through the woods and forest glades I wander, and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees. When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur, and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze.

And when I think, that God his son not sparing, sent him to die, I scarce can take it in. That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing, he bled and died, to take away my sin.

When Christ shall come, with shouts of acclamation, and take me home, what joy shall fill my heart. Then I shall bow in humble adoration and there proclaim, my God, how great thou art!

Chorus: Then sings my soul, my Saviour God to thee, how great thou art, how great thou art. Then sings my soul, my saviour God to thee, how great thou art, how great thou art.


I know everyone knows that hymn, but thought maybe someone might benefit from reading its message again, I know I did from singing it ( :

I wanted to post about (heaven forbid) the inauguration, but once again, it's 10 pm and I am EXHAUSTED- so - later.

2 comments:

Lopez7 said...

Susie, thanks for posting the words, I love that song. I am so impressed with your boys memorizing the AoF! I think I am going to implement that into my FHE. My little Sakoya is obsessed with Barack Obama! Actualy she wore her glasses today because I promised to buy her a magazine with Obama on the cover! (she picked out Time!) Such a silly girl!

Cassie said...

I am still waiting to see you in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Everytime I see them sing I tell who ever happens to be there: my friend Susie wants to sing with them someday. :)