Well, John and I have finally done it (again). ( : Our dish contract was up, so we cancelled our satellite service. We have done the no television thing before, while living in Korea for a year. So, although the concept is not entirely new to us, it has been a while and we were spoiled with Food Network, PBS, The Office and C-Span.
Originally the idea of getting rid of television services was one way to cut corners in the budget, trying to maximize our savings/ debt repayment. Although we enjoy television, it is truly not the most important thing in the world for us, and something we decided we wouldn't mind skimping on ( especially if we upgraded our internet ( : ) . The more we discussed it, the more we realized there would be other benefits as well, both for ourselves and for the children. Although I have discussed this with other families, I am sure the results differ from family to family and am excited to see how it affects our family. I will be sure to keep everybody posted.
Here's to a Happier, Healthier New Year with no television (at least for the first 6 months). Heaven knows, maybe I'll find more time for all of my other projects, reading, talking, and actually living life ( : We are allowing movies and such, the library on post is a great resource for that and we will continue to enjoy family movie nights, and great educational children's programming as needed thanks to the super media center. Wish us luck!
Friday, January 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
I think it is awesome. I have wanted to do that myself many times, but I always get vetoed by Tim who doesn't think he could survive with out the telly
Roark doesn't want to get rid of tv either. He says its for his sanity. We didn't have tv in florida for a long time and did just fine though. oh well. I think you guys will do great. (plus you can sneak over to my house to watch the office if you want. =)
Hey There!
Wish I could take the "plunge" and do that for our family. I guess I rely too much on the tv as a babysitter. I turn on the tv and take a nap and I know they will be there 30 minutes later! Maybe someday...ok ok...not too soon though!
We're in a 2-year contract. 14 months to go, but with Jeff gone it's nice to have TV to unwind. But if we weren't paying for it, there are also other ways to unwind-- probably better ways. Haha.
We've discussed the getting rid of cable bit. We really don't need it since we have the internet and get tv shows on Netflixs. Mostly we keep it around for when my Dad comes to visit so he can watch sports. -Kind of funny, hugh. :)
congrats on getting your life back! Aaron and i haven't had tv since we've moved here, and although we MISS the office SSSoooooo much, it's nice to have more time to do other things. I seriously feel like I waste my day away when we do have tv. I get too wrapped up in other people's fake lives!!!
Post a Comment