CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Army Ten Miler

Well, I was waiting to blog about everything from this weekend until my pictures got downloaded, but my camera is being ornery, so I will barge ahead regardless. John participated in the Army Ten Miler this weekend and had a great time. He flew to DC on Friday. At the St. Louis airport he had the opportunity to meet Gwen Ifill, who had just hosted the VP debate the evening before! She is a journalist we really admire, we watch Newsweek on PBS nearly every week, which she hosts. So, the fact that she was on his flight was pretty exciting! There were also a number of other political journalists there that John mentioned. Also, I'm not sure if it was in St. Louis or Reagan, but John saw Greta van . . . Youch, I don't want to totally butcher her name. When he got to DC, he was able to go to Crystal City, my old working haunt, for a nice sushi supper. Saturday John viewed some homes, to get an idea of what homes in our price range are like. He was pleasantly surprised, and I wish I could have been with him, I love looking at homes! Well, if he gets the job, then hopefully I can go look at homes there in the winter or spring ( : Afterwards he went to the National Gallery of Art, another favorite haunt of ours from Graduate school days. He found a little calendar for me, and a beautiful print of a dancer by Renoir for Sophia's room. That caught his attention, because she is our little dancer. All of our children have enjoyed music and moving, but she REALLY loves to twirl and dance, so he felt it was perfect for her. Later that afternoon he visited our friends the Talbot's for dinner and afternoon conference. It was wonderful to catch up with them, and we appreciate their hospitality. The run was Sunday morning and John did a great job. He placed 1,919th out of 18,857. His run time was 1 hr. 15 min. 41 seconds. That is about a 7.5 minute mile. The fort Leonard Wood team did well, placing 4th in the Active Duty Mixed team division! Hooah! All in all, it was a wonderful opportunity to do something he won't have a chance to do again. He was super and I am so proud of him! What a weekend for John.

1 comment:

PoemboysAngel said...

Hey Susie! Tell John Congrats, it sounds like he did awesome! I thought it was kind of funny about the picture john got Sophia because lars is taking painting this semester and their next project they have to do a copy of a painting from a certain era. Anyway, Lars was thinking about doing the picture Dancer by Renoir. You should come check out my blog sometime. Love Ya!