CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Post

There are so many things I wanted to blog about this weekend, but by the time John got home from his TDY and everything quieted down, I just wanted to sleep! I have also been spending some time since he came back, when not reading my schoolwork, teaching the kids, changing diaper, preparing food, etc. devouring the Saturday and Sunday Washington Post's that he brought back. Oh My Goodness, I had forgotten just how much I LOVE that paper! I felt a wave of longing and contentment wash over me as I held that thick pile of paper in my hands. John and I enjoy keeping up with the Post online, reading articles daily, but there is just something lovely about the visceral pleasure of holding that paper and ink in your hands. It's like holding a birthday present knowing there is something wonderful underneath the beautiful wrapping. Beyond the attention grabbing headlines and lovely graphics and illustrations lurk wonderful bits of information and opinion from all of the top experts and thinkers in their fields. Although the Post can have a bit of a liberal reputation, I really feel that they do a pretty good job at balancing ideas and opinions in their paper, and they are among the best in the world at getting great scoops! They also have lovely articles on books, art, style, food, the economy, politics (obviously), and everything else that affects our lives. So, I will revel in the joy of this paper for the rest of the week. I have already read the comics (of course) and will continue to read an article here and an article there throughout the busy days. What a blissful escape. Thanks, John, for grabbing one! Now I want to return to DC more than ever-pppfft. Oh well, I am sure I would also survive with the Fresno Bee or Magic Valley Times News. Anything is better than the GUIDON!! Although, I even devour that miserable attempt at newspaper/propaganda because it is all I have! Happy reading to everyone else, and if any Missouri friends have a hankering, you are welcome to come share a cup of herbal tea and a few moments with the best paper in the world.

2 comments:

mbbatch04 said...

I am so coming over tomorrow and reading that paper! ooo! I'll bring cookies!

brittanyandtravis said...

The army ten miler was this weekend wasn't it? How did John do?