Well, I just wanted to report on our homeschooling progress so far. This could be slightly boring/braggy, but writing it down is a necessity to keeping track of things with this pregnant brain. So, please read if you are remotely interested, but feel free to tune in for my next blog post if you are already yawning. ( :
Christopher is progressing by leaps and bounds with both his reading and his writing. At the beginning of the school year he could only read a few VERY simple words like Mat and Sat, and only with a great deal of effort. He has now progressed in the reading curriculum to consonant digraphs, meaning sounds like "ng" "tch" "ngth" and "sh". He has a pretty solid grasp of consonant blends now, and a number of sight words like will, of, the, etc. It is so neat to watch his progression each day, and the excitement he feels when he reads a particularly difficult word or sentence. For writing, we are not doing any particular curriculum. He has begun to voluntarily write short stories or letters, and even does a fair job with spelling! He will also occasionally illustrate the sentences/stories he reads in the schoolbook. If anyone is interested, I highly recommend "The ordinary parent's guide to teaching reading" as well as the "Bob" series of beginner books. They would also be excellent for supplementing your child's education if he is having a difficult time at school.
Math is also coming along nicely. I enjoy the Saxon curriculum, although it can have a bit TOO much busywork sometimes. I enjoy the fact that the lessons often incorporate science, or art, or various things, as well as a number of manipulative opportunities. Christopher often surprises me with his ability to do things I wasn't sure he was capable of. He is nearly done memorizing double fact to 20(the sum) (2+2, 7+7, 9+9 etc.). He can read and write number sentences and number problems and understands basic addition and subtraction to sums less than 10. He can also count to 100 and is learning about patterns, clocks, graphs and measurement. Although the lessons can be a bit time consuming, and occasionally difficult for a 4 year old to sit through, I think we are both making progress!
The 4 day a week schedule seems to be working, and we are even finding time for physical exercise, art, storytime, etc. I would like to begin focusing more on finding constructive ways for Theodore to learn and engage in play near the kitchen, so I can keep an eye on him, and he does not feel he lacks attention. I think there is room for improvement with him, although he does really well playing solo when we are busy. Sophia can be a bit of a handful, but she will either come sit on my lap, snack, go play with Teddy, or nap while we work. I think I need a basket of school time only toys to occupy her. I am loving the opportunity to teach our children, and know that even more adventures lie ahead! Exciting stuff. John is also super, he recites latin and greek verb conjugation with them each night, as well as the Lord's prayer and an article of faith. Christopher is now working on Article of Faith #4, and Theodore has the English version of the Lord's prayer nearly entirely memorized! I am not super into memorizing, but this is a good age to learn, and John has surprised me with what the boys have picked up from their evening storytime.
Speaking of school, it's a school day tomorrow, and Grumpy teachers are no good, so I'm signing off.
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
Can I just say Wow?! I am so impressed with your family. I have so much respect for families that are able to home school thier children and do it with such awesome results. I want to be like you when I grow up.
Post a Comment