CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Breastfeeding and Drs.

I know that I am preaching to the choir with most of my readers, and I respect any feeding choice for infants, as long as they are getting both food and love. ( : However, I had a discussion with my friend, Annalee, the other week that appalled me. She is a fellow breastfeeding mommy, and her little one still nurses, which I am just a little jealous of. Weaning always brings with it a sense of loss along with the pride and freedom of increased independence. She mentioned that a doctor here on post had told her that after 6 months there is no nutritional benefit to nursing. As this is her 4th child, she knew something was off with that doctor's statement, but had she been ill informed, young and impressionable imagine what she would have thought.

I know the general concensus of the labor and delivery medical staff is very pro-breastfeeding, and there are a number of resources, La Leche League and lactation consultants to disseminate information that is accurate. So, how can any medical professional in their right mind say something so blatantly false!? Thank goodness for modern science and clean, nutritious baby milk, but Mother's milk is made specifically for baby humans, unlike cow's milk- think about it! The AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics?) recommends breastfeeding for AT LEAST the first year of life, and the World Health Organization recommends 2 years. Where does a doctor get the idea that Mother's milk has no nutritional value just because a baby reaches a certain age! The moral of the story is that Doctors can't always be trusted and are sometimes just plain wrong. Perhaps if anybody else has an experience like this they can politely inform the doctor or individual of their critical error ( : I'm sure they will appreciate being able to share accurate information with others and want what is best for all parties involved. If you'd like more information on breastfeeding, particularly breastfeeding slightly older babies La Leche League and Kellymom are two terrific online resources! Perhaps if our society could just lose some of our strange sexual hangups with using breasts as they were designed, and properly educate AT LEAST the medical personnel more moms would successfully be able to breastfeed for a year. Who knows. Just some thoughts from yours truly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After going to grad school at Drexel's College of Nursing and Health Professions and being surrounded by the Med Students in addition to the nurse and P.A. students I'm not in the least surprised. Some made me frightened of the medical profession (since people seem to think they're all-knowing) and others reminded me that knowledge is learned through a filter-- each person's perceptions and opinions color the way they perceive facts and knowledge. So this doc probably had some of that mixed in. Anyways, gooooo breastfeeding. Haha. We all know I had quite the journey getting to where Kailie and I are now. See you "on the otherside" when you get back to blogging again. :-)