CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The day after. . .

I know many of my friends and family are of varying opinions on election results from yesterday. If I wanted to be polite, I would say you won't be hearing more from me about politics, but we all know that is not true. Like John, I feel political and religious discussion is an integral part of my life, and I will still be discussing it when I feel the need, along with my various posts, on parenting, books, food, and life in general.

Just FYI, for the proposition 8 supporters, John reminded me that we actually voted on a very similar issue in the 06 election here. I voted to prohibit gay marriage, so I have a voting record most of you would approve of, but nobody was trying to tell me what to do. Somebody has to play the devil's advocate, and I just love that role. ( ;

The energy measure in Missouri passed, something I was excited to be a part of. Arkansas passed a ban for unmarried couples on fostering/adopting. John and I both feel that is more of a true family friendly measure than some others. My man, Jay Nixon, will be the new MO governor. And our representative Ike Skelton, a true moderate Democrat, kept his house seat (no surprise, he's been in for 3o odd years or something). Democrats have had gains in both the senate and the house. They still fall short of the 60 majority in the Senate, but gained 5 seats. And they may gain more than a dozen in the House. I find it interesting that so many are flocking to the Democratic side, it will make for a fascinating couple of years, something I think most of us can agree on 9 :

Some observations on the day after: This election seems to be as polarizing now as it was before, something I find fascinating. People are either overjoyed and full of optimism and hope, or in the deepest depths of despair, fearing what the future may bring. I feel sorrow for those individuals who are so upset, but I must say that I woke up with the most wonderful feeling this morning. I may be going to hades, but I am going to hades happy. (It's a joke, people!) I truly hope that by the time January rolls around we can all find the strength to unite and work together for the common good. If you fear certain things, do everything in your power to stop them. Join a group, write your congressman, speak up and not just in your blog. If you are looking forward to the changes Obama may bring, you (I) have a responsibility to be involved as well. We must work together to pull our country through the difficult times ahead (speaking economically and such). And a number of people had commented that they were praying for our country. Well, Good! I would hope that all believing citizens continuously pray for this country. Heaven knows the past 8 years under the thumb of George W. Bush made me crazy sometimes, but I have prayed for him, and all world leaders, every single day. The way I see it, leaders can use all of the divine assistance, strength, wisdom, understanding and guidance they can get. So, I'm glad you are praying for the country and Obama, but I hope it is something you do regardless.

My sincere condolences on the loss of a party for many of my friends, but I am going to enjoy my day in the sun while it lasts. I'm not stupid enough to think Democrats will stay in power forever, these things always cycle. So, just permit me my small moment of gloating. Yeah!! Happy, happy day. Ok, I'm done ( :

For now, that's all.

1 comment:

The Metcalf Five said...

There was no sorrow for me or elation. I knew Obama would win so what is the point in being sad about it....it isn't productive in any way. And why be elated? My problem isn't actually with Obama himself and more with people who almost worship this man like the 2nd coming of christ and think that things will be WAY different under his term. Like I have said in the past, no one man can make that big of a change on his own. It takes all of us. I hope that things get better, but I will be the doubting Thomas until there is proof. Just for the record....I didn't think McCain would be able to do much either. So it isn't a matter of party loyalties.